Award-nominated Brum-based style blogger. Keen on sustainability + minimalism. Big fan of chocolate-coated pretzels.

Why I Don’t Use the Term ‘Girl Boss’

Why I Don’t Use the Term ‘Girl Boss’

I’ve been noticing an ongoing trend where women refer to themselves as ‘girl bosses’, a term which I just don’t quite get.

maya-angelou-quote-1440x2016.jpg

Now, don’t get me wrong.

As a feminist, I support, respect and appreciate everything that the term ‘girl boss’ stands for – women being bosses too. I totally understand the sentiment and I’m 100% behind it!

brene-brown-quotes-rising-strong-1-1.jpg

However, I just don’t understand why ‘girl’ has to be added on.

First of all, being a boss is an innate part of being a woman (not biased, just truth). Let’s face it, we deal with so much sh*t simply as a result of our gender; I thought I’d compile a short list with a couple of highlights:

– cat calling/wolf whistling
– unsolicited groping
– upskirting (shoutout to Michael Chode)
– periods
– giving birth
– contraception
– constant pressure to look a certain way
– underestimation

beyonce-girl-boss-quote-1440x2016.jpg

Like it or not, girls are bosses. Whether that’s in the form of a CEO, a cleaner, a teacher, a nurse, an artist, a bus driver, a builder, an astronaut, a scientist, a lawyer, an actor, a writer….the list goes on. Every single day there are women around the world who are working their butts off and pushing our planet and society forward, and they’re absolutely bossing it.

marie-forleo-quote-1440x2016.jpg

Secondly, creating this sort of co/sub-category isn’t, in my opinion, helpful in asserting the fact that women (and, for that matter, those of any gender) are capable of the same things as men. Why should we create our own new, on trend title?

We can prove that we are capable of what so many male bosses already do. That is, be a boss.

tina-fey-quote-2.jpg

Do you use the term ‘girl boss’? I’d love to hear your thoughts on it!

featured photo: Greetabl
graphics: www.ashleybrookenicholas.com

1. Outlandish Blog
    August 6, 2018 / 8:57 PM

Oooh that Tina Fey quote was just what I needed to read right now! I am currently working in a very sovinistic company/industry and have found it very hard. Especially today was really stressful due to a bullying campaign they started just last week… But Tina’s right, I’m gonna concentrate on me now, do my work and just work on getting on with other things!
    This post was mint, thanks! 🙂

Teresa | outlandishblog.com

• Nati
      Author
      October 15, 2018 / 12:21 PM

I’m so glad you found the post helpful and I hope things at work are improving for you – I’m so sorry to hear you’ve struggled with it. Stay true to you, because you’re absolutely awesome! x

2. August 6, 2018 / 8:12 PM

I sometimes say female boss, but that’s my own personal preference. I like saying I am a female boss, because that’s what I am. I understand where you are coming from, it’s the same for saying gay marriage.. when no it’s just marriage. I just love the term female boss. For me it’s empowering! But totally understand where you are coming from x

• Nati
      Author
      October 15, 2018 / 12:21 PM

That’s such a good way to look at it! Thank you for sharing your thoughts – I’m so glad to see it’s sparking a bit of a conversation x

3. August 6, 2018 / 8:00 PM

I don’t use the term ‘Girl boss’ but I’ve never thought of it in a negative way, either. Your post has definitely changed my mind on that, though! I’ll be offended whenever I hear someone say ‘Girl boss’ from now on. Great post, well written!

• Nati
      Author
      October 15, 2018 / 12:23 PM

That’s so interesting! Haha, I don’t think there’s any need to be offended but it’s important to stand up for whatever you believe in! x

4. August 6, 2018 / 6:26 PM

I like the term BOSS. Why settle for the term GirlBoss when we can become the Boss!

• Nati
      Author
      October 15, 2018 / 12:23 PM

Agreed! x

5. August 6, 2018 / 5:57 PM

I couldn’t agree more with what you say in your post, Nati. The term ‘girl boss’ is unhelpful and does women no favours whatsoever. Here’s hoping it’s a fad that will soon be gone!

• Nati
      Author
      October 15, 2018 / 12:23 PM

Hi Liz! Haha, I agree! x

6. August 6, 2018 / 5:29 PM

I am not a fan of the term ‘girl boss’ either. There’s always been something about it that grates on me – and I think it has to do with the fact that a lot of the poor souls who have been sucked into pyramid schemes use it – but you basically just summed up a lot of my beef with it!

Cordelia || cordeliamoor.com

• Nati
      Author
      October 15, 2018 / 12:24 PM

Haha I completely agree! I think it’s a bit hollow and doesn’t empower the way it intends to! x