Award-nominated Brum-based style blogger. Keen on sustainability + minimalism. Big fan of chocolate-coated pretzels.

SkinnyDip x Pride 2018 Event

SkinnyDip x Pride 2018 Event

Yesterday evening I found myself in the friendliest bar I’ve ever been to – Her Upstairs, in London – thanks to the SkinnyDip x Pride 2018 Event, I’m Coming Out, in aid of StoneWall UK.

As a heterosexual woman, I saw the event as the opportunity to learn more ways that I can support a community that I’m an ally to, whilst continuing to educate myself on LGBTQIA+ experiences today.

Dh0mrEyXcAAshd_

I spent the day with my new blogger friend Chloe, who had travelled down from Brum for the event, and after hours of exploring Soho and Camden, we headed to Her Upstairs.

Upon arrival we were greeted by the loveliest bouncer I’ve ever met, followed by a member of the wonderful SkinnyDip team. We made our way to the SkinnyDip-only room to find ourselves surrounded by gorgeous SkinnyDip-style decor, plenty of delicious treats, and a roomful of good vibes.

IMG_1814

The bar was (incredibly generously) filled with complimentary Prosecco, fresh pizza and the best dessert ever – shot glasses of cookie dough topped with sprinkles by Naked Dough. I’ve followed them on Twitter for a while so I’m so glad I finally got to taste their products! I’m going to be thinking about those for a long time.

IMG_1821IMG_1823IMG_1828

After mingling, snacking and Instagramming, we made our way to our seats to find a gorgeous little goodiebag filled with SkinnyDip products and more!

IMG_1834

Before we knew it, the discussion began! Hosted by drag queen extraordinaire Crayola, the panel was made up of award-winning influencer and LGBTQIA+ writer and blogger, Lottie L’Amour; Editor in Chief of award-winning LGBT+ magazine FRUITCAKE, Jamie; Youth Engagement Officer for The Albert Kennedy Trust, Zoe; and out-of-drag drag queen Ophelia Love.

IMG_1842

SkinnyDip created a warm and welcoming safespace, which meant for a wonderful discussion. The evening was centred around coming out as part of the LGBTQIA+ community in the 21st century, along with its simultaneous importance and, sadly, often difficult experiences. This gave us the opportunity to hear each panel member’s coming out story, both internally and externally. I learned so, so much which is exactly what I’d hoped for. As a straight person, I’d never considered the fact that coming out to yourself is part of the journey before coming out to others, for example. It was incredibly moving and is incredibly important to be able to hear from people who have to go through so, so much just to be themselves.

I am so moved not only by how open and honest the panel were about who they are, but also the way in which they taught us that there is literally no need to ever put yourself in a box. You’re just you, and that’s simply wonderful.

IMG_1852

It always overwhelms me just how sweet the SkinnyDip team is – they make every single attendee feel so safe, welcome and supported, making sure to welcome us personally to each event and offer every refreshment and goodiebag there is.

IMG_1857IMG_1858IMG_1861IMG_1860

I know that when I’m going to an event held by SkinnyDip I’m going to have a wonderful time with wonderful people (team, panel and fellow attendees).

Thank you so much to Crayola, Lottie, Jamie, Zoe and Ophelia for such a moving and intimate discussion, and thank you to SkinnyDip for running another fantastic evening. I can’t quite get my head around how generous this brand is and I’m so, so grateful and appreciative of the love and thought that went into every single element of I’m Coming Out by the SkinnyDip team and the incredible panel.

If you can, I would absolutely love for you to donate to Stonewall UK. No member of the LGBTQIA+ community deserves to be left homeless for having the courage to share who they are with the world.

Hate_Sucks_Banners_-_Homepage-02_a7eb13a7-6ce4-4ca7-9d71-e86fdd176089_2048x_crop_top

1. July 21, 2018 / 2:46 PM

This looks fun and informative too.

2. July 21, 2018 / 8:14 AM

This seems like a wonderful event & I’m glad you had a great time 😊

3. July 21, 2018 / 3:18 AM

I love the name “Her Upstairs” for a business. So unique. Your photos are great and it looks like such a great event!

xx, Des

• July 21, 2018 / 9:28 AM

Hey Des, thank you for stopping by! So glad you like the post – I’d definitely recommend the bar! X

4. July 20, 2018 / 9:28 PM

Omg that looks like so much fun! I never knew SkinnyDip had such a big investment in the LGBT community which makes sense because its fierce and fabulous!
    The baggies look so cute. And I would love to go to an open discussion event where you can hear peoples stories.
    Maybe Glasgow will get one, one day!

Lucy | styleirregular.com

5. July 20, 2018 / 9:28 PM

Maybe Glasgow will get one, one day!

Lucy | styleirregular.com

6. July 19, 2018 / 6:20 PM

It was so lovely to spend time with you! x

7. Lisa Autumn
    July 19, 2018 / 12:19 PM

I just love SkinnyDip!

x Lisa | lisaautumn.com

8. eviebraithwaite
    July 19, 2018 / 11:22 AM

Oh this event looks amazing (that pizza) – and how adorable is the little goodie bag! It sounds as if this was such an eye-opening event, shedding light on such an incredible community and the processes LGBT+ members go through. It’s amazing that you were able to learn something from this event too! Great post x

Evie x | https://eviejayne.co.uk

9. BethRebecca
    July 19, 2018 / 11:22 AM

Sounds like such a great event for a message that needs to get out there more and more! And also, I l just love skinny dip x

Beth x | https://bethrebecca.com/

10. ruthinrevolt
    July 19, 2018 / 10:05 AM

Oh, Nati, your posts always make me so jealous (in the best possible way!) I think it’s so endearing and sweet that you went along to this to educate yourself, and I’m glad you got what you were looking for. Also, EVERYTHING looks amazing, especially the goodie bags. So happy to know you had (yet another) fantastic experience. Keep up the great work.

• July 19, 2018 / 10:08 AM

Hey Ruth! Aww thank you for your kind words! Hope you’re having a wonderful week x

11. July 19, 2018 / 9:49 AM

Her Upstairs is my most favourite place in the world – and Ophelia and Crayola are two of my favourite queens ever – and I so wanted to come to this event but I knew about it too late. It looked like you had such a good time though!

Cordelia || cordeliamoor.sqaurespace.com

• July 19, 2018 / 10:03 AM

Hey Cordelia! Omg, I’m so sorry you missed it! I’m glad I got to at least share my photos and experience with you. Hope you’re having a lovely week!