An award-nominated Brum-based blogger + lover of chocolate-coated pretzels,
minimalist interiors + RuPaul's Drag Race.

The Glamorisation of Overworking

The Glamorisation of Overworking

As I’m sure you’ve noticed, there’s been a sudden surge of people who aim to capitalise everything they do. When was the last time you heard the word ‘hobby’? Hobbies aren’t a thing anymore – it’s all about the side hustle.

It isn’t on trend to be doing something simply because you enjoy it – that’s so 2016. You need to see your passions as tools to create projects that you can profit from. If you don’t have spare time to do anything else, you’ve succeeded. You’re doing something you love anyway, so it shouldn’t matter.

I’m not a fan of how putting your heart, soul and every living moment into a business is being portrayed as the best route to success.

The Glamorisation of Overworking in the Media

Unfortunately, as with many of today’s issues, we cannot solely blame the media for the downfall of ‘just doing things for fun’. This trend is no longer just present in the communicative means of larger corporations and organisations; it’s sneaked its way into the vocabulary of a range of creatives and entrepreneurs. If you work for yourself, you’ll know what I mean. If not, please do embrace the fact that you’re not emotionally entangled in your career.

To sum up what I mean by the glamorisation of overworking, I thought I’d curate some of the lovely content out there created to enforce feelings of inadequacy and the need to put work before eating, sleeping and breathing.

If you want to be successful, you’ve got to hustle every second that you can.

Anyone who doesn’t say yes to every opportunity isn’t passionate enough about their project or business.

You can’t succeed without devoting your life to your career.

Stop communicating with everyone you already know and start communicating with opportune agencies online.

Okay, that last one was a bit extortionate and very much false. You know what I mean, though. Perhaps it’s more of a regular subtext than an outright useless nugget of wisdom.

The Glamorisation of Overworking in our Peers

I don’t need to tell you that *surprise!* what we see in the media affects our behaviours, language and pretty much everything we think and do. Pretty crazy, pretty cool and incredibly unnerving. As a result, the ‘side-hustle’ trend is making its way into our day to day life in another out-of-our-control medium – the people around us.

Peer pressure, whether intentional or not, is definitely influential to every individual, whether we like it or not. Here are a few examples of how the glamorisation of overworking is finding its way into our day-to-day lives.

I’ve just got so much going on, I was up all night going through my emails!

*Makes sure phone isn’t on silent so that everyone within 10km hears every notification*

*Is told phones must be kept on silent so leaves phone facing up so everyone within 10km sees it light up with every notification*

Let’s go for coffee! I should be available around March 2019 – how does that sound?

Sound familiar?

In my opinion, it’s absolutely wonderful to be so passionate about a business or project, but it’s important to remember if you want to give something your all, it doesn’t mean that you have to give it all your time, too.

As an advocate for positive mental health, I’m determined to constantly reiterate how important it is to live at (the healthiest version of) your pace. Be honest with yourself – how many hours, realistically, do you think you’ll be able to ring creativity out of your mind for? Probably not as many as you think, and most likely not as many as you’re currently attempting.

Please don’t overwork yourself, no matter what you’re told and what you read – nothing is more important than your wellbeing.

photo: Franzetti Photography

1. November 2, 2018 / 1:04 PM

Gosh, I related to this so much. It is something that was so explicit when I reread ‘The Bell Jar’ in Summer. We need to raise awareness of the fact that exhaustion is not desirable and should certainly not be considered ‘edgy’ or ‘cool’. Thank you so much for sharing.

2. July 28, 2018 / 1:53 AM

This is a wonderful post! Thank you for sharing. It is so hard not to overwork ourselves trying to succeed. Trying to juggle multiple hats can make us a bit nuts and we lose site of what’s important in life. Thank you again! Dayna xx

3. June 29, 2018 / 2:44 PM

Down time is such an important part of life!! I often feel bad about not working on my blog at times but I can get soo tired and just need the break. Overworking is not a pretty thing to do to your body. Love this post, babe!

Alana Nicole | SolelyLiving.com

• June 29, 2018 / 5:05 PM

Hey Alana, thank you for your comment – I’m so glad you like the post!

4. June 29, 2018 / 2:11 PM

Live this post. All too often we mistake time spent with being successful. Working smarter is better than working a lot. 😊

5. June 29, 2018 / 10:24 AM

I think it’s hard to find the balance of not glamorising overworking and been proud of working hard

Kate xx

6. June 29, 2018 / 8:21 AM

Really liked this, especially the points you made about that pressure to be in social media self promoting to the point of exhaustion. The last thing anyone wants is to turn their creative passions into a ball and chain and yet somehow that is what happens if you’re not careful!

• June 29, 2018 / 12:04 PM

Hey love, thank you for your lovely comment! I agree- there’s definitely a fine line! X

7. June 28, 2018 / 5:13 PM

This is so real, it’s scary. I’ll be honest, I’m not the type to make work my number one priority (mainly because I don’t have a career yet, still bartending) nor am I workaholic sort of speak. However, as I’m reading this I’m thinking this is my mother to a T. She worked her butt off for 15 years to get where she was today, and it got real dirty sometimes. It’s a dog-eat-dog world out there especially in the workforce! Thanks for sharing!

• June 29, 2018 / 7:57 AM

Hey Kayla, thank you for your comment! Your mother sounds incredible and it’s so good that you’re able to see where you should/shouldn’t be inspired by her workstyle! Sending you good vibes! Nati x

8. June 28, 2018 / 2:50 PM

omg I loved this – this was so honest and true. I don’t even enjoy posting on IG anymore cause I feel like it’s all become too serious and I get demotivated if a photo doesn’t do particularly well. The same with my social life, I think that people are so caught up with ‘looking busy’ that they don’t make time for the things they actually want to do! x

G

• June 29, 2018 / 7:56 AM

Hey G, thank you for your comment! Me neither – Instagram has become far too business-orientated considering it’s supposed to be for sharing memories, haha! X

9. June 28, 2018 / 1:20 PM

Thanks for sharing this as it definitely gave me some things to think about, you need a good balance of work, life and everything else for sure!

• June 29, 2018 / 7:56 AM

Hey Lorna, thanks for stopping by – so glad you like the post and found it helpful! X

10. June 28, 2018 / 1:09 PM

This was a fantastic post!!! I’ve been following a well known blogger for at least 4-5 years now, and she is a culprit at saying and doing just this. Always says she is having a break but still post a whole load of pictures on Instagram and her blog, while vlogging it all. This person rarely takes a break, say’s they work into the early hours and gets up early, and you can often see times when they are burnt out. Your right it isn’t healthy and it really has become a glamorisation within the blogging, Instagram, YT Industry. I too often feel bad just posting one post a week thinking, it’s too little. I’m not a full time blogger. So post to my blog and YT once a week, while working and studying, is more than enough. Again great post Nati : ) xo

• June 29, 2018 / 7:55 AM

Hey Juanita! Thank you so much for your comment! I’m not a full time blogger either and often it can be difficult to set aside time to do neither work nor blogging – it feels like it’s either one or the other! I need to study too, so sometimes things get a bit overwhelming schedule-wise so I remind myself of the fact that being productive is not the same as being busy! Nati x

11. June 28, 2018 / 10:37 AM

What a fab post! I’m always overworking myself with uni work and am constantly getting ill when I’m overworked / trying to cram too many things into my day – it’s important to just take a step back sometimes I feel! xx

• June 28, 2018 / 11:12 AM

Hey Imogen! Thank you for such a lovely comment – I’m so glad you like the post! X

12. June 28, 2018 / 12:59 AM

I enjoyed your post. My blog is about a month old and I feel like I have been working on it so much. I forgot how to live. I love blogging as a hobby but I like that you say it’s no longer a hobby when it’s a side hustle. I would like to make money from my blog but it’s not top priority right now. I’m just trying to have fun and connect with people who share the same passions.

• June 28, 2018 / 7:19 AM

Hey Shaun! Thank you for your comment- it’s so exciting that you’re so new to blogging and I’m excited to see your blog grow! It’s definitely worth keeping an eye on how much time you spend ‘hustling’ because otherwise you’ll forget to do things simply for fun! X

13. June 27, 2018 / 11:49 PM

Great post! I have a tendency to overwork myself with my side hustle. This is a good reminder that my level of business does not determine my level of worth.

• June 28, 2018 / 7:18 AM

Hey Elizabeth, thank you for stopping by! Have a lovely weekend and remember to take time to relax!

14. June 27, 2018 / 4:09 PM

Thanks for sharing these thoughts! Needed to be said!

• June 27, 2018 / 7:26 PM

Hey Cailin, I’m so glad you like the post! Thank you for your kind words x

15. June 27, 2018 / 2:14 PM

I totally agree! On my first month of blogging, all I did was work on my blog. It became kind of overwhelming. Now I try to pace myself and take time to relax.

Thanks for sharing!

• June 27, 2018 / 7:30 PM

Hey Miriam! Thanks for stopping by- I’m still struggling to keep my blogging hours under control – when you enjoy your ‘side hustle’, as such, there’s such a fine line between setting goals to achieve and putting yourself under pressure. Schedule in some time to take care of yourself too! X

16. June 27, 2018 / 2:07 PM

100% agree with this! Overworking is no good if it impacts somebody in a negative way! Great post❤️

• June 27, 2018 / 7:28 PM

Hey Sam! Thank you for your comment- so glad you like the post! Remember to take time for yourself!

17. June 26, 2018 / 7:02 PM

Thanks so much for writing this! I agree with you 100% on this! Our obsession with constantly working has reached unhealthy levels. I’m glad to see there are still people out there who know it’s okay to take a break, great post!

• June 27, 2018 / 7:27 PM

Hey Rachel! Thank you for such a lovely comment – it’s as if it’s on trend to be permanently exhausted by our career(s), which definitely isn’t good! X

18. June 26, 2018 / 3:27 PM

I love this!!!! I actually got an email this morning which was a news letter from a blogger talking about how she made 10k in 2 months and she mentioned basically that the people who decide after a busy work week to watch netflix or hang out now with friends instead of putting time into their blog. and that discouraged me because i do that, so your post really helped me feel better about myself and helped me dismiss that negative outlook. thank you very much for sharing this!

• June 27, 2018 / 7:33 PM

Hi Michelle, thank you for your comment – it’s so lovely to hear that you enjoyed the post and that you’re taking the advice into your own day to day life! It’s so important to set aside as much down time every week as you set aside productive time. Hope you’re having a lovely week! X