In promoting our own self care, it is important to support the self care of others around us. It is key, whilst focusing on our own self care, to not lose sight of that of others.
Here are some easy ways to support the self care of other people:
– respect and trust that acts of self care by others that affect you are not personal
– educate yourself on the reality of mental health – its importance, symptoms of issues, etc. – this will not only inform you for your own wellbeing, but so that you can recognise and know how to support that of others
– respect that one person’s idea of self care may not be the same as yours
– understand that when someone decides not to attend something you care about, or that was organised months in advance, it is not personal – it is likely an act of self care (especially if it is out of character – mental health issue are not part of someone’s personality)
– ask people if they’re alright – even if you don’t believe them when they say they are – the simple act of showing you care about them could make such a difference
I hope you find these useful – self care is more accessible with respect from those around us.
‘Helping one person might not change the world, but it might change the world for one person.’